Sciatica is a type of pain that is often triggered when there is a compression or irritation to the sciatic nerve. This usually affects only one part of the body but the pain can be debilitating or severe. Most of the time, the pain shoots down from the lower all the way to the rear of the thigh and downwards through the leg. This can be accompanied by a tingling or burning sensation down that leg, weakness and even numbness.
Fortunately, there are remedies that can help provide relief to this problem and some of them are listed below.
- Turmeric. When it comes to alleviating sciatica pain, you can try turmeric because it contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the inflammation of your nerves. Turmeric is also capable of minimizing the pain that you are feeling which is a plus. Just add a teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of milk. You can even add a stick of cinnamon if you like. Boil the mixture then add some honey to sweeten. You should drink this once or twice a day until your condition improves.
- Yoga. Doing yoga appears to be useful when it comes to relieving sciatica pain. It is still unclear how yoga can alleviate the pain but it appears that by strengthening your muscles and tendons, you are actually minimizing compression of your nerves which in turn can prevent pain from shooting down your back. Another plus to doing yoga is that you are actually correcting your posture which can also help minimize sciatica pain.
- Capsaicin cream. Capsaicin cream is another natural remedy that can help alleviate the pain coming from your compressed nerve. This is due to the presence of capsaicin in cayenne pepper which is the main ingredient in this cream. Capsaicin is notorious when it comes to reducing pain because of pain relieving properties. Just look for a cream or ointment that contains 0.025% to 0.075% capsaicin to experience relief. Take note that there is a burning sensation at the start but it will eventually fade after a few minutes.
- Apply ice or heat. Applying cold or hot compress on the affected part of your body can help reduce the pain somewhat which is what you need to experience relief. Although they cannot penetrate deep into your sciatic nerve, they can minimize the pain that you are feeling. Just apply the hot or cold compress on the affected area and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fenugreek seeds. Another home remedy that you can try for your sciatica pain is fenugreek seeds. This is due to the fact that fenugreek seeds can help alleviate pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a good remedy if you have gout or arthritis. All that you have to do is to grind some fenugreek seeds then boil with milk. Use the paste on the affected area. Leave it on for a few hours before washing it off.