Here is our Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook review. With the arrival of the new year comes a desire for many of us to lose weight. In fact, eating healthier and getting more exercise are the two most common New Year’s Resolutions for 2018.
The ketogenic diet has been in the news a lot in recent years. Originally conceptualized as a diet to help people with epilepsy manage their seizures, it has become one of the most popular weight-loss diets around.
Some of its appeal comes from its inclusion of foods that are usually prohibited in diet plans. Butter and bacon are two examples – and that brings us to the product we’re reviewing. Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Review is a free ketogenic cookbook. Will using these recipes help you lose weight? Let’s find out.
What Is Bacon and Butter?
Let’s start by talking about what Bacon and Butter is, and what it isn’t. First and foremost, this is a cookbook written by Celby Richoux. It contains 150 ketogenic recipes broken down into the following categories:
- Bacon & Beyond Breakfast
- Super Rich Smoothies and Shakes
- Sumptuous Snacks
- Sneaky Keto Classics
- Fish Favorites
- Perfect Poultry
- Meaty Mains
- Delightful Desserts
- Kitchen Staples: Condiments, Sauces, and Dressings
Most of these are self-explanatory, but you should know that the Sneaky Keto Classics section includes keto-friendly recipes for things like macaroni & cheese, tacos, and pizza. The dessert section focuses on recipes with no sugar, although some use alternative sweeteners like honey and stevia.
In addition to the recipes, Bacon and Butter – The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook also includes:
- A brief introduction to the ketogenic diet and its health benefits
- A glossary of terms
- A list of The Dirty Dozen (foods that have a lot of pesticides) and The Clean Fifteen (foods grown with few or no pesticides)
- A list of references
In other words, this free book isn’t intended to be a comprehensive take on the ketogenic diet and what it can do for your health. Its primary purpose is to be a cookbook.
Health Claims of the Ketogenic Diet
Because Bacon and Butter doesn’t make specific health claims, we think it’s helpful to look at the ketogenic diet in general and check out the science behind it.
Here are the things that proponents of the ketogenic diet say it can do for you:
- It helps you lose weight – the high fat/low carb keto diet puts your body into a fat-burning mode known as ketosis, which helps you burn fat and lose weight.
- It lower blood sugar levels and helps correct insulin resistance. By reducing the amount of sugar you eat, the ketogenic diet helps to keep your blood sugar in balance.
- It improves mental focus. Ketones, the molecules that help your body burn fat, provide ideal energy for your brain.
- It boosts your energy. Fat takes longer for your body to digest than carbohydrates do, so you’ll feel sustained energy throughout the day.
- It satiates hunger. Increasing your fat intake makes you feel full and satisfied, reducing food cravings and hunger.
- It reduces blood pressure and bad cholesterol. This one might seem counterintuitive, but one of the primary claims of the ketogenic diet is that it can help with these two risk factors for heart disease.
The key is to eat the three major macronutrients – fats, proteins, and carbohydrates – in the proper ratio.
The Science of the Ketogenic Diet
Now let’s talk about the specifics of Bacon and Butter. The beginning of the book provides a brief but very clear explanation of the ketogenic diet and how it works. It explains the importance of maintaining proper ratios of fat to protein and carbohydrate. It also explains the differences between carbs with a low glycemic index and those with a high GI, and talks about the role fiber plays in offsetting your carb intake.
A study from 2004 looked at the effects of a ketogenic diet on adults. It divided subjects into two groups. The first group followed a ketogenic diet while the second followed a more traditional, low-fat diet.
The results of the keto group were impressive. Overall, they did a better job of sticking to the diet than the low-fat group. They also lost more weight and experienced more improvement in the triglycerides and cholesterol levels than the other group.
Likewise, a 2012 study found obese and overweight people who followed a ketogenic diet experienced a significant reduction in their blood glucose levels.
While there aren’t any studies into how following a keto diet can improve focus, there are many that look at the impact of the diet on the brain – not surprising when you consider it was first developed as a treatment for epilepsy.
The energy claim is a difficult one to quantify. There have been no studies that we could find into the effect the keto diet has on energy levels, but as we stated above, it makes sense that eating foods that take a while to digest would provide you with more sustained energy than foods that burn off quickly.
A 2007 study found that men who followed a ketogenic diet experienced less hunger and more satiety than men who followed other diets.
Finally, there is evidence to suggest that in some people, a ketogenic diet may reduce cholesterol and other factors of heart disease.
Overall, there is plenty of research to back up the use of a ketogenic diet for weight loss, blood sugar control, and other health factors.
Bacon and Butter’s Recipes
As we said before, Bacon and Butter contains 250 ketogenic recipes. We want to give you an idea of what you can expect to find.
The recipes are divided into nine groups, as stated above. A typical breakfast recipe includes eggs, high-fat dairy, bacon, and other meats. There’s a recipe for butter coffee, one of the staples of the ketogenic diet. People who prefer vegetable-based options will enjoy the smoothie recipes.
Each recipe includes the keto ratio (the ratio of fats to proteins and carbohydrates combined), plus calorie information and other nutritional facts.
Other notable recipes include a low-carb version of macaroni and cheese, spinach and artichoke dip, and decadent chocolate brownies.
Pros and Cons of Bacon and Butter
As is the case with any diet product, there are pros and cons to consider before buying. Let’s start with the pros:
- The recipes are easy to follow and clearly written
- Most recipes rely on ingredients you can find at your local grocery store
- Each recipe contains essential nutritional information, including ratios, calorie counts, net carbs, and more
We really like this book, but here are a few potential downsides to consider:
- Many of the recipes in this book are not vegan-friendly. Most contain meat, fish, eggs, or dairy products. Some modifications may be possible, but this probably isn’t the best book if you’re looking for vegetarian or vegan recipes.
- Some of the recipes are more involved than others – people who don’t enjoy cooking may want to stick to the simpler recipes.
We feel that the pros outweigh the cons here unless you’re following a vegan diet.
Bacon and Butter: The Ultimate Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Review Conclusion
The ketogenic diet is popular because it works – and the research backs it up. While more research is needed for some of the benefits claimed by proponents of the diet, it is undeniably true that following a keto diet can help you lose weight, balance your blood sugar, and lower your cholesterol.
Bacon and Butter is full of delicious and (mostly) easy-to-follow recipes that will be a welcome addition to your kitchen. It can be hard to find recipes that work for the keto diet, and this free book is one that you’ll likely use for years to come. To get your free copy of Bacon and Butter today, please click here.