Have you heard of a buffalo hump? Well, it’s that really unattractive lump of fat situated at the base of the back of the neck. Also sometimes called neck hump or widow’s hump, medical experts say that it can actually be due to a handful of medical conditions. Some of them include tumors, kyphosis, hormonal imbalances and Cushing’s syndrome. There are instances in which a buffalo hump can be the side effect of AIDS medications and steroids.
If your doctor gave you a clean bill of health or you are not taking drugs for some serious health problems but you have that unflattering neck hump, it only means one thing: you are carrying unwanted pounds.
Making your buffalo hump go away in an instant is possible, and that is by seeking the help of a plastic surgeon. But it’s for certain that you will have to shell out lots of cash and risk having complications. Or you can go the all-natural way to deal with your neck hump, which can take a little while to deliver results but it’s cheap and safe.
Well, there are only a couple of things that you should do to make that awful lump go away without undergoing the knife and putting up with the risks involved:
Carefully mind what you put in your mouth
Opting for a healthy eating habit can make excess weight go away as well as prevent unnecessary weight gain.
Exercise on a regular basis
Burning more calories than you are getting creates a deficit in energy, and this causes your body to convert fat cells into energy for fueling up itself.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as spot reduction of fat. This only means that there is no exercise out there that can target only fat that is situated at the base of the back of your neck or any other specific part of the body. According to fitness experts, you have to do cardio – brisk walking, jogging, biking, swimming, etc. – on a regular basis in order to make your neck hump as well as fat elsewhere go away.
Aside from engaging in cardio exercises regularly, it’s also a good idea to perform certain exercises that target muscles in the neck, shoulders and upper back. Getting those muscles in the said areas toned can help greatly improve the appearance of that darned buffalo hump. Here are the best ones:
- Stand up straight and allow your arms to fall naturally to your sides.
- Roll your shoulders for 12 counts, and then roll them to the opposite direction for another 12 counts. Congratulations! You just completed a set.
- Do 3 sets of shoulder rolls. Doing this daily can help speed up the elimination of that neck hump.
- This exercise for buffalo hump elimination requires you to go down on all fours. For utmost comfort, it’s a good idea for you to perform this with the use of an exercise or yoga mat.
- Inhale. As you do so, lift your chest and look forwards, and then allow your lower back to drop.
- Hold this position for about a couple of seconds.
- Exhale as you slowly go back to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of the cat pose, each one made up of 10 to 12 repetitions. Stop if you are feeling lightheaded.
Arm and Leg Stretches
- It may seem like this routine targets the muscles in the belly, arms and legs, but it also actually tones the muscles in the shoulders and upper back, making it good for dealing with a neck hump.
- Just like the previous exercise, this requires you to be on all fours.
- All at once, stretch your left arm all the way to the front and stretch your right leg completely to the back.
- Maintain this position for about a couple of seconds. Afterwards, slowly take your left arm and right leg to the starting position. That’s one repetition.
- Repeat using the opposite arm and leg. That’s another repetition.
- Do 3 sets of arm and leg stretches, with each set consisting of 10 to 12 repetitions.