Exercise is a necessary part of our lives as it helps us stay fit, healthy, and in a pretty good disposition as you get to blow off steam. Although most of us head to the gym to exercise our muscles, others are looking to open spaces to get their fitness fix. You might think that working out in the outdoors is not going to be enough to toughen up those muscles but you might be surprised how you can really give your body the training it needs while breathing in the fresh air too. Now that’s a double win!
What exercises can you do that will transform the outdoors to your own personal gym? Here are a few to get you started.
- Push-up trio on park bench. Place your feet on the bench with your hands on the ground. Do 10 push-ups this way. Now switch places where your feet are on the ground and your hands are gripping the edge of the bench. Do another set of 10 push-ups. After this, do 10 more but this time on the ground.
- Court HIIT. If you are close to a basketball court, there are several HIIT exercises that you can do. You can sprint five times along the length of the court, side shuffles from end to end, and lateral hops where you jump forward and backward the length of the court. You’ll be breathing heavily afterwards for sure.
- Bench hops. Sit on the edge of the bench then throw your arms up while jumping as high as you can. Go back to being seated and repeat. If you want to make this workout more difficult, raise one leg off the ground and bend the other to sit briefly on the bench. Stand up and repeat as many times as you can manage within 30 seconds or a full minute. Repeat with the other leg.
- Ball workout. Get different types of balls like stability ball, basketball, volleyball, and the like and scatter them out in the yard. Do different workouts on each ball such as balancing on the stability ball while you do push-ups. Move around each ball that you have and repeat as many times as you can.
- Bench climbers. Another workout that will test your mettle outdoors is the bench climbers. As the name suggests, you will need a bench to do this exercise. Place your hands on the edge of the bench while keeping your body straight. Balance yourself on the balls of your feet. Drive your left knee towards your chest then the right knee. Continue alternating as fast as you can as if you are climbing a hill. Do as many reps as you can within 30 seconds. Rest for 10 seconds then repeat.
There are plenty of exercises that you can actually do while you are enjoying the outdoors. Make your own fitness routine and get those calories burning while taking in the beauty of your surroundings.