Are you about to deliver a really inspiring message in front of a large audience or impress your long-time crush with your personality during a romantic date? Having a hoarse voice is a real deal-breaker. Fortunately, there are a few home remedies available that can make that hoarseness go away in no time.
Before we discuss these all-natural solutions for it, let us first tackle the reasons behind a hoarse voice.
One of the most common causes of hoarseness is the overuse of the vocal cords. If you get too carried away cheering for your favorite basketball team or you spend hours belting Mariah Carey songs at a karaoke bar, then it’s very much likely for your voice to be hoarse the following day.
Having an infection of the upper respiratory tract such as a cold, cough, flu or laryngitis can also leave you with a hoarse voice. Definitely, an allergy attack can cause hoarseness as well.
Being hoarse is also something that can be due to acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) because the digestive acids that happen to escape the stomach can leave the vocal cords irritated and inflamed. If you are a smoker or you like to drink lots of alcoholic beverages, having a hoarse voice can be a commonplace.
In some cases, hoarseness can be due to a serious medical condition like thyroid problems, throat cancer and polyps in the vocal cords. This is especially true if the hoarse voice is persistent and comes with other symptoms.
Sure that you don’t have any of those serious medical conditions? Then worry not because your hoarseness is likely to go away on its own in about a week. You may try some home remedies that can help soothe your throat as well as well as accelerate the healing process. Try the following to get your voice back to normal in no time:
- Drink ginger tea. On a regular basis, drink ginger tea to help soothe your throat so that you may bounce back from that hoarseness very soon. Make sure that the tea isn’t too hot, though. Also, feel free to add a teaspoon of lemon juice or honey to taste.
- Consume honey. Speaking of honey, it’s a wonderful idea for you to take a teaspoon of this sweet, sweet syrup every now and then. Because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, honey can help get rid of that hoarse voice you are having.
- Have apple cider vinegar. In a glass of lukewarm water, mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar – the kind that’s raw, unfiltered and organic. Drink this morning and night with the help of a straw in to protect the enamel of your teeth from being eroded.
- Gargle with salt water. Dissolve a teaspoon of rock salt in a glass of lukewarm water and gargle with this mixture which has both soothing and antimicrobial properties. You may gargle with salt water up to 3 times a day for a much faster recovery from hoarseness.
- Lemon juice with cayenne pepper. Make yourself a glass of lemon juice – lukewarm and not cold. Afterwards, stir a quarter of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in it. Once dissolved, start taking small sips of it to keep the throat coated with it.
- Place garlic in your mouth. Carefully peel a clove of garlic and cut it in half. Place each one on your molars and bite down. Allow the juice to seep down your throat. Similarly, you may stir the oil inside a garlic capsule in a glass of lukewarm water and gargle with it.
- Take slippery elm tea. Hit the local herbal or health food store and obtain slippery elm powder. Dissolve 2 teaspoons of it in a cup of hot water. Allow to cool for a bit and consume. Slippery elm tea helps soothe a sore throat and hoarseness.