Bent on embracing a dairy-free life but you’re not sure if you can steer clear of mac and cheese forever? Worry no more as it’s actually very easy to whip up vegetarian mac and cheese that does not contain dairy, but is still just as creamy and delectable just like the real deal!
Instead of cheese, we will be using cashews that is turned into powder and mixed with a bunch of other ingredients to mimic that staple ingredient in mac and cheese which those who is leading dairy-free lives have to abstain from.
Cashews are some of the healthiest nuts on the face of the planet, courtesy of its antioxidants, good fats, vitamin E and dietary fiber. In other words, mac and cheese that relies on cashews to become rich and mouth watering is incredibly good for you — unless you have allergy to a variety of tree nuts or just cashew itself!
Experts say that cashews are good for your heart as they help lower bad cholesterol and high blood pressure. Vitamin E in these crunchy treats helps make your skin stay healthy and beautiful. Cashews are also good for the bones, teeth, gums and eyes. Indeed, cashews can help you attain optimum health.
To make your dairy-free mac and cheese even healthier, it’s a wonderful idea to opt for whole grain elbow macaroni. Whole grain means that the bran and germ, both of which are highly nutritious, remain intact.
Using whole grain elbow macaroni allows your body to get excellent amounts of B vitamins. According to nutrition experts, B vitamins are important for energy production and healthy nerves. Whole grain elbow macaroni is also loaded with protein that is necessary for healthy muscles, bones, skin, nails and hair.
More importantly, whole grain elbow macaroni is teeming with dietary fiber! We all know that fiber is important for keeping at bay constipation. Also, it is very good for preventing uncomfortable and definitely embarrassing hemorrhoids from striking. There’s something else that fiber in whole grain elbow macaroni can prevent: colon cancer!
As you can see, every serving of dairy-free mac and cheese is good for you, provided that you go for whole grain elbow macaroni. Not only will your dairy-free mac and cheese keep you from consuming dairy, but also save you from an assortment of digestive problems.
Let us now learn how to make mac and cheese that is completely devoid of dairy:
- 3 cups of uncooked whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup of cashews (raw)
- 1/2 cup of onions (diced)
- 1 cup of carrots (diced)
- 15 ounces of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed with water)
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Cook the whole grain elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- In the mean time, grab a small saucepan. Boil diced onions and carrots in 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop out 1 cup of water from the saucepan and place it in a food processor. Drain and place the boiled onions and carrots in the food processor, too.
- Add in the cashews, cannellini beans, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Process until you end up with a creamy sauce that looks cheesy. Don’t forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor with a rubber spatula from time to time!
- Thoroughly drain cooked whole grain elbow macaroni and place in a bowl.
- Pour the dairy-free sauce on top of it and toss.
That’s how super easy it is to whip up mac and cheese that’s free of dairy! By the way, this recipe is good for 5 to 6 people.
Let everyone know how you find it by leaving a comment below!