Shoulder pain can happen occasionally especially when we lift a heavy object the wrong way or when you’ve been feeling tensed because you’re working on your computer, tablet, or even holding your smartphone for hours on end. When the muscles, tendons, and ligaments are strained, pain can occur. Most of us would leave it alone as it will disappear soon enough but if the pain keeps coming back, it is always a good idea to look for remedies that can alleviate the discomfort. Fortunately, there are home remedies that can minimize shoulder pain easily and these are:
- Cold compress. This is one of the most common home remedies that we do when we experience shoulder pain. Cold compress helps numb the affected area while reducing the inflammation. Place ice cubes in a clean plastic bag then wrap the bag in a towel. Apply the cold compress on the injured shoulder for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat as needed.
- Epsom salt. Another home remedy that has been found to be effective in alleviating shoulder pain is Epsom salt. What this remedy does is to increase blood circulation on your shoulders to help reduce the pain. Fill your bathtub with warm water then add two tablespoons of Epsom salt. Mix the salt thoroughly then immerse yourself until your shoulders for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turmeric. When it comes to offering pain relief to your shoulders, you should definitely look closely at turmeric. Turmeric is known to contain curcumin which contains anti-inflammatories and antioxidants that not only reduce the swelling but also lessen the pain on your shoulders. Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder with equal amounts of coconut oil to create a paste. Apply the paste on the affected area on your shoulders and leave it to dry. Rinse afterwards with warm water. This remedy should be repeated twice in a day to make the pain go away.
- Olive oil. Shoulder pain can be easily alleviated with the help of olive oil. This oil is capable of improving your blood circulation to help reduce the swelling and get rid of any stiffness in the muscles. Just heat a teaspoon or two of olive oil then let it cool for a few seconds. Let someone massage the oil on your shoulders to help work out the tightness on the area.
- Apple cider vinegar. Of course, when it comes to treating pain, apple cider vinegar is another remedy that you should definitely consider. Its anti-inflammatory properties can help make the swelling and inflammation go away plus its alkalizing properties help promote healing. Fill your tub with warm water then add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. Soak in the tub all the way to your shoulders for about 20 to 30 minutes. You can use this remedy when you’re feeling aches and pains not just in your shoulders but other parts of your body.
These home remedies can make the pain in your shoulders disappear fairly quickly. The best part is that you’re not going to spend much on medications and there are no known side effects too.