Adding fruits to our diet is one of the best ways to ensure that our body is getting sufficient amounts of vitamins that will not only enhance our immune system but also boost our overall health. Aside from the usual fruits like apples, bananas, and oranges, plums are worth considering as this fruit has quite a lot of nutritional benefits to provide you with. Do you want to know what benefits you can get from eating plums? Here are some to take note of.
- It relieves digestive problems. If you’re constantly suffering from constipation or other digestive issues, try eating some plums. Plums contain dietary fiber that can help move things along in your bowels so you don’t have to worry about constipation.
- It protects your heart. Another benefit to having some plums is that it contains potassium which is a mineral that aids in lowering one’s high blood pressure. A medium-sized plum already contains about 113mg of this nutrient so you’re actually helping to protect your heart. Also, plums contain anthocyanins which can reduce your risk of cancer by getting rid of free radicals.
- It enhances your brain function. The antioxidants found in plums also work in slowing down the development of Alzheimer’s as we age. The anthocyanin and quercetin present in plums can prevent the breakdown of brain cells.
- It prevents diabetes. Another reason why you should be eating plums is because they have low glycemic index which means that you can regulate your blood sugar levels. This reduces your risk of Type 2 diabetes which is why this is a good choice for snacks especially when you’re feeling hungry.
- It increases bone health. Studies show that those who ate plums are actually at less risk of suffering from bone problems like osteoporosis especially when it is eaten along with vitamin D and calcium-rich foods.
- It can fight off cancer cells in the breast. What else is there to like about plums? How about its ability to combat cancer cells from forming? Plum extracts are quite adept in terminating cancer cell growths without affecting the surrounding tissues. Eating this fruit or taking supplements with plum extract may help you protect yourself against cancer.
- It’s low in calories. If you are trying to lose weight but appear to be losing the battle, it would be a great idea to add plums to your list of foods to snack on. One reason behind this is that plums are low in calorie content. As a matter of fact, a small plum only has 30 calories so it won’t be too harmful to your diet.
These are just a few notable benefits to eating plums that you should know about. Plums are not only delicious but they can certainly help you stay healthy and strong. Protecting yourself against serious illnesses like diabetes, heart problems, and the like is possible especially when you take advantage of the benefits that eating plums can provide you with.